A Good Black Woman
A good Black Woman is proud of herself.
She respects herself and others.
She is aware of who she is.
She neither seeks definition from the person she is with, or does she expect them to read her mind.
She is quite capable of articulating her needs.
A good black woman is hopeful.
She is strong enough to make all her dreams come true.
She knows love, therefore she gives love.
She recognizes that her love has great value and must be reciprocated.
If her love is taken for granted, it soon disappears.
A good black woman has a dash of inspiration, a dabble of endurance.
She knows that she will, at times, have to inspire others to reach the potential God gave them.
A good black woman knows her past, understands her present and moves toward the future.
A good black woman knows God.
She knows that with God the world is her playground, but without God she will just be played.
A good black woman does not live in fear of the future because of her past.
Instead, she understands that her life experiences are merely lessons,
meant to bring her closer to self knowledge and unconditional self love.
Samuel Newton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Good Black Woman by Samuel Newton )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- should i add this to our Irish stew?, Mandolyn ...
- Reflections, Nero CaroZiv
- The shadow in my garden, Piyush Dey
- Something and something, gajanan mishra
- OUR PAINS AND OUR SUFFERINGS, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Colors Of The Rainbow, Anthony Daniels
- Hiccup, binod bastola
- Life and death..how we come and how we g.., krishnakumar chandrasekar nair
- You need me, gajanan mishra
- Infractions Rained Down Tears, mary douglas