Waseem A Malla
A Poor Single Mother...! ! !
Tonight she decorated another bed,
She was the ornament of another night,
Tonight some new arms embraced her,
And she slept with another man.
Tonight a promise echoed again in her mind,
A broken promise but not an old one-
A promise made just yester-night:
A vow- not to sleep any more, again,
Not to let strange arms hold her,
On the bed, every night, with a new man-
All the strangers on this vast earth.
One vow- not to decorate any new beds,
For all the comfort of these beds
Pricked her body more than any thorns.
Thorns! Or perhaps, a sharper thing,
As they pricked her soul too.
But there was nothing more to do,
As the man's cruel eyes wouldn't let-
Let her keep the promises she made,
For she, tonight, satisfied some other soul;
She quenched the thirst of another man,
And satiated the lust of a new stranger-
In order to satiate her own hunger,
To quench the thirst of her own throat;
To buy bread for her hungry children,
She tonight slept with another man!
But tonight she made another promise,
Just to renew the contract the other night:
To complete a vicious cycle of promises-
Making a new one, & breaking again!
I wonder, if tomorrow, she sleeps again,
With a new stranger, who could afford,
A few pennies, to decorate her,
For a newer stranger, the next night-
To quench their respective thirsts & hungers.
Waseem A Malla's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Poor Single Mother...! ! ! by Waseem A Malla )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Winter Night, Robert Burns
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- My Country, Dorothea Mackeller
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- I Do Love, michael walkerjohn
- My Pretty Baby, Vera Sidhwa
- Christmas Holiday Guest, louis rams
- Pretty Baby, Vera Sidhwa
- I Thought of You Today, Vera Sidhwa
- I Love You Kira 5, Michael P. McParland
- "JU kwa JUU", michael walkerjohn
- Blood that killed two, Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- fade away, Maya Hanson (mye3)
- Come Two Three, michael walkerjohn