Waseem A Malla
A Poor Single Mother...! ! !
Tonight she decorated another bed,
She was the ornament of another night,
Tonight some new arms embraced her,
And she slept with another man.
Tonight a promise echoed again in her mind,
A broken promise but not an old one-
A promise made just yester-night:
A vow- not to sleep any more, again,
Not to let strange arms hold her,
On the bed, every night, with a new man-
All the strangers on this vast earth.
One vow- not to decorate any new beds,
For all the comfort of these beds
Pricked her body more than any thorns.
Thorns! Or perhaps, a sharper thing,
As they pricked her soul too.
But there was nothing more to do,
As the man's cruel eyes wouldn't let-
Let her keep the promises she made,
For she, tonight, satisfied some other soul;
She quenched the thirst of another man,
And satiated the lust of a new stranger-
In order to satiate her own hunger,
To quench the thirst of her own throat;
To buy bread for her hungry children,
She tonight slept with another man!
But tonight she made another promise,
Just to renew the contract the other night:
To complete a vicious cycle of promises-
Making a new one, & breaking again!
I wonder, if tomorrow, she sleeps again,
With a new stranger, who could afford,
A few pennies, to decorate her,
For a newer stranger, the next night-
To quench their respective thirsts & hungers.
Waseem A Malla's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Poor Single Mother...! ! ! by Waseem A Malla )
- Private Ground, Sylvia Plath
- The Trial Of A Man, Sylvia Plath
- The Burnt-Out Spa, Sylvia Plath
- Beginning of the End, A Haiku Sequence, Chenou Liu
- Recantation, Sylvia Plath
- Jasmine, Naveed Khalid
- Owl, Sylvia Plath
- Living this life, silenced work
- Phantasmagoria, Naveed Khalid
- Metaphysical Independence, Margaret Alice Second
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- A Case Of Murder, Vernon Scannell
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)