A Question of Trust? *
butter wouldn't melt...
Eyes, soft grey blue and perfectly set
Lashes to die for
and such a clever mimic
He taped the Karate Kid
and played it so many times
he could recite every line by heart
He was only eight, too.
then one morning....
I knew it had gone
- the fifty dollar note
It was definitely in my purse last night
I remember checking
and I knew who'd taken it
What to do...
Confront and condemn?
(and guarantee more lies)
Confront with understanding?
(he's a good little actor)
Pretend I haven't noticed?
(and let him get away with it)
that night after story....
Sweetheart, I've been thinking...
Well, some kids bring money to school, don't they?
To buy lunches and stuff.
I guess sometimes you wish you had some?
To buy stuff yourself, I mean...
Would this help?
I handed him ten dollars
When I checked my purse
the fifty dollar note
*inspired by A S Neil
Alison Cassidy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Question of Trust? * by Alison Cassidy )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1878 - 3 May 1916)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 August 1880 – 9 November 1918)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Love's Substitute, Bernard O'Dowd
Poem of the Day
- Mountainclimber, hafiz qasim
- Miss Legs, Dorsey Baker
- A Lesson to Fur and Leather Entertainers, rohan bendre
- Love Is Here To Stay, Dorsey Baker
- Mother's helplessness., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- A Lesson of Patriotism, rohan bendre
- Pen-and-Ink, hafiz qasim
- Destroyer and Preserver, hafiz qasim
- My Time, Kyle Schlicher
- TEACHER, Shachi Kaul