A train ride
The train now standing at platform 2 is empty now,
its windows still fogged by smut and smog
that lapped its sides for the time of its reign.
Worn seats are still depressed by ghostly bottoms,
those excited passengers of long ago.
They're essence fills the very air we breathe.
Now the train holds no one, just sits on a mocked up platform
at York Museum to allow eager, bright eyed tourists
to walk quietly within its carriages.
It clings tight to its memories, those veiled secrets,
somehow wanting to tell all it has seen ___
rolling hillsides, green fields, quaint hamlets.......
Its driver, with blackened fingers and cheeky grin
no longer steers its mighty coaches
but his presence is ever felt
by all that walk through the 10.15 calling at
sand castles, treasured friends, lover's trysts
favoured aunts and all stations to times gone by.....
Ruth Walters's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A train ride by Ruth Walters )
- In secrets, gajanan mishra
- A-DOODLE-DO, Donald R Charon
- Nostalgia- Song of the Expatriate, S.zaynub Kamoonpuri
- Wipes off obloquy, gajanan mishra
- Beloved of Bronze Skin, Donald R Charon
- a dead sea scroll unrolled, Mandolyn ...
- I am Thy Woman O my Protector, Aftab Alam
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #12, Ronjoy Brahma
- Wandering With Affliction, Donald R Charon
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #11, Ronjoy Brahma
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)