Addington Beach 1
So bleak so empty is the beach to me
as I walk its lonely sand soughing length
in an aura of sunless disbelief,
for while yet you fought for life under theatre's
harsh light and knife in rubber gloved hand,
I was killing time.
At the tide's high line of fragile crust
I find a water smoothed stone and tomorrow
when you see me at the door I'll say,
'I gathered it while you were in theatre.'
In stead I waited 'till tomorrows ceased.
Now I return it to the deep.
So sterile seems salt sea and sand to me.
Barren wards and carbolic corridors
where trolleys trundle pulling green gowned
awkward-slippered surgeons and masked nurses,
while we in foetal sphere, about your bed
are saying our inadequate farewells.
We stand at the window of ICU
easing eyes tired from green line vigil
in luminous spike telling your life away,
each bleep of the monitor seers deep
until the straight line silence riveted
us into the future without you.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Addington Beach 1 by Adrian Flett )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
- Nymphs And Shepherds, Thomas Shadwell
Poem of the Day
- From what tall lie am I, Madrason writer
- Out Of Body, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Honour my feelings!, Rekha Mandagere
- The End is Coming, michael hagwood
- A pencil on a painting, Ntando.B Da poet
- Distance, Alex Rodriguez
- Fierceless, Alex Rodriguez
- A Thousand More, Smoky Hoss
- i think i left my hand in yours. go look., Mandolyn ...
- Wild cold of novemeber, Alex Rodriguez