Ah! You Didn't Know?
In an evening of events,
He and I met together
In the City-Coffee House
And broke the silence of a millennium
Over a steaming-cup of coffee.
He spoke and I listened.
Slowly I discovered
The iron-gates of the castle-in-ruins
Opened up with a crackle before my eyes
And the rusty past shed its darkness
To a shining glory.
He identified the strange and precious gems
Stored in the womb of the ruins
And I, on my part, recognised them
In their antique glory.
Encouraged by his profound knowledge
And sense of beauty I thought;
I could at least show him
The mundane vapours
Flying from the hot cup of coffee.
He observed them,
And admonishing me for
My idiocy, said:
“You thought they’re ordinary vapours,
Nay, they are ephemeral curls of steam
Like benign souls! ”
And further added
“These curls of steam are cycles
Of birth and death,
You didn’t know”?
I said, “No, I didn’t know,
Now that you said,
R.K Das's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ah! You Didn't Know? by R.K Das )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 July 1793 – 20 May 1864)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
Poem of the Day
- Eyebrows Wrinkle, Mae AC.
- It's Almost Christmas, Heather Burns
- Thumbs up, Mae AC.
- Young, I Journey Along The Way, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- Eyes Crease, Mae AC.
- Through A Ghostly Patch of Memories, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- Smiles Politely, Mae AC.
- The Painting of A Sigh, Mutasem I. Amayreh
- A Child Is Born, Heather Burns
- Suicidal Hypocricy, Mutasem I. Amayreh