Angel in Transit
I arrived at the airport under dark
Overcast skies. I had a night flight to catch
From Amsterdam to Budapest.
And as I waited
Through the small hours,
The Schiphol Airport
Became quite deserted.
I felt lonely and sad.
My wife just died
And I was depressed.
I waited for my plane
In an almost empty waiting room
When suddenly, to my great surprise,
A pretty young woman seated herself
Next to my chair.
I found this rather strange
Because all the benches around us
Were unoccupied and I wondered
Why she chose to sit nearby.
She was silent but I started to talk to her.
After a while I told her my story
And she began to comfort me
With warm and compassionate words.
At some point I gathered courage
And asked her why she sat next to me.
She looked at me with a gentle smile and said:
'I don't know'.
Yet I felt a mysterious presence
And in her eyes I saw glowing diamond rays
Of solace, tenderness and love.
She stayed there for about 20 or 25 minutes.
Then she rose, gave me a hug, kissed my face
And walked away to board a plane.
Paul Hartal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Angel in Transit by Paul Hartal )
- Digging well, gajanan mishra
- The father... dominating figure, hasmukh amathalal
- Fading Love, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Walk Away, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Be Calm and Cool, Aftab Alam
- Saying I Do, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- A SONG FOR YOU, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Quick-Sand, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- this day, sheade rudman
- Love Always, Saturday Chikezie Promise
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)