Another Thrilla In Manilla
Two consonants can kill each other
if they have no vowel between them
poised to stop the mayhem.
Consider the word 'cacophony.'
The first 'c' may kill the second 'c'
if the 'a' between them runs away.
Linguists claim some day consonants
without a vowel between them may
create another Thrilla in Manilla.
Boxing fans still talk about the first
Thrilla in Manilla, the final bout between
Smokin' Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali.
In the eighth round, Frazier's corner man,
Eddie Futch, threw in the towel,
fearing for Frazier's life.
Ali said the hurricane of Frazier's blows
almost killed him as well.
Linguists fear fists may fly between all
consonants without a vowel between them.
Since consonants don't have a corner man,
look for death to occur in 'accommodation.'
Donal Mahoney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Another Thrilla In Manilla by Donal Mahoney )
- Under the stairs., Harold R Hunt Sr
- On my shoulder, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Out of the mouth of babies., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Chand Khoya He Badlo Mein, Hwa Khamoshi .., Yashvardhan Goel
- Later Tonight, Michael McParland
- summer, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Down by the river., Harold R Hunt Sr
- North vs South, Harold R Hunt Sr
- sleepy town, Harold R Hunt Sr
- What's happen?, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)