"Can I just...? "
Everybody wants me to be something for someone—
Or somebody for something else—
But can I just be a man for today—
Without the rules of today?
Can I just step out from the sliding glass door—
Out to my own backyard—
So I can be free from
The hats and labels of society?
Can I just mosey about without shoes or socks
And let the blades of the grass slip between my toes...?
Can I just be me for a change—
If only for today...?
Jeff Gangwer's Other Poems
Topic(s): me against myself
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ("Can I just...? " by Jeff Gangwer )
- After Many Years (Tanka), Mihaela Pirjol
- I live and I, gajanan mishra
- Crime & War, Dean Meredith
- This world is messy, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Barriers Within, Namita Sawant
- Ma mate kahuchhi, gajanan mishra
- The New Watch, Terence Murphy
- My mother is telling me, gajanan mishra
- The Search, david kush
- Belissima, Patricia Spears Jones
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 November 1759 – 9 May 1805)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)