Jamaica, land of wood and water
Beautiful island of the Caribbean
From your belly birth sons and daughters
With pioneering spirit, adventurous domains
Your path destined with lifestyles that makes you special.
There you are, reaching out to humanity
Fifty-years anniversary of Independence in 2012,
With songs of praise, feat of greatness
Jamaica, Jamaica, Out of Many, One People
You, an island only 4,411 square miles
Brave, bold, outspoken and attractive people
Yes you are, behold your shining athletes,
Behold the beauty of your women,
Behold the radical ways you came to be
Now a shining star of the world.
Jamaica, Jamaica arrayed in joyfulness
Magnified with abundance of churches Throughout your nation; always praying
Embedded with five National Heroes whose
Conviction of radicalism made you strong.
Jamaicans, stay focus, the beauty of your land
An oasis of love of citizens of the world.
Jamaica, celebrate your Golden Jubilee
Tell your story of Doctor Bird, The Ackee,
The Lignum Vitae, the Blue Mahoe, The Maroons.
Wave your flag proud; Black, Green and Gold.
Forever remember the Eternal Father
Blessing your land, as you teach each
Other to respect one and all
For 50-years of delightfulness, no easy feat
Together, to another 50-years of progress
Jamaica, Jamaica, Out of Many, You Are One.
Winston Harding's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Celebrate Jamaica by Winston Harding )
- In My Head, Foster Teegarden
- Love is Splattered Everywhere!, Mr. Nobody Nothing
- Deep Water, The Princess
- All Things Nice, Tania Montgomery
- Love is a Sad and Sorry Chameleon, Hebert Logerie
- Love Thru Poetic Passion, Sandra Feldman
- The Ocean's Gates, Brandt Nightingale
- Tribute to the King, Tania Montgomery
- Abyss, Donald R Charon
- Ode to the Busker, Tania Montgomery
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
- A New Day, Electric Lady
- Evening Star, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
- Heather Burns