Crying For A Ghost
We dance around our tails
like little puppy dogs
my puppies are dead in the back
of my Lightning truck
I walk the streets inside my heart
I wanna be your kitten
I can't live in the dark
with my dead puppies.
Akiboo died of Cancer,
my Minnesota cat
and Shiloh died in a bin
and Homeboy never came back.
He died with my collar on
and I never got to say goodbye.
Kimokeo's dead under his tree
and Vito never made it home.
Fluffy starved to death for her kittens
and there was nothing I could do.
Mira also died of Cancer
because her food was microwaved
and Kee' Kee's mouth rotted off
because his jaw broke when he was a baby.
Blue Dog ate my little chickens
but I love him anyway
everyday the assholes kick him
just because he wants their love.
My brothers shot my pet 'possum
and dumped him in the pond
I guess you can't ever come back
to the place you thought was home.
If I ever make it to the river
and get a barn full of hay,
I probably won't get any pets
because I've been hurt so many times.
They say you should never love anything
because it just dies.
I guess dreams die that way
even when you try your best
I guess somethings aren't meant to be
you can feed them all you possibly can
but if you're not there when they need you most
you're left standing in a grave
crying for a ghost.
Kelly Zion's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Crying For A Ghost by Kelly Zion )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- i am accused of tending to the past, Lucille Clifton
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- Scales falling, Angell Afinowi
- About the Armadillo, Angell Afinowi
- Leprosy at the birthday Party, Angell Afinowi
- The Journey, Alvin Mingle
- Darling, Anthony Di'anno
- Bright Shades of Life, Rohit Sapra
- Tolstoy's Lament, Bill Lindsay
- The valley of Utah, Rekha Mandagere
- A House I call my Home, Reagan A. Latumbo
- I Do No Know, Tony Adah