John Garth Raubenheimer
For Rebecca Scarberry... Author Of Messages From Henry
I can't find my copy
of de Saint Exupery's 'Wind, Sand, and Stars'
(perhaps I gave it to our church) .
So - as a fellow-writer you'll appreciate -
I've done a little research.
Well... I googled it, okay.
It's his story of three Saharan Moors
who were flown to the French Alps
and led by their guide
up to a tremendous waterfall.
They stood transfixed.
Back home they'd march for days
to find a muddy pool of water
mixed with camel urine, to drink.
'That's all there is to see, '
their guide said,
'We must wait.'
'Wait for what? '
When - they were wondering -
would God grow weary of His madness?
I have a picture of these men -
squatting; sitting down
to observe cross-legged
the perpetual miracle;
their guide faltering
suffering the earth-bound quandary of
whose plans for their charges have gone wrong.
And I have a picture of you,
- one perhaps singular to me,
as I contemplate the shuttering of my twitter-feed:
sitting with your three cats
- lulled into sleepy cat-delight...
draped over the blanket
you have draped across your knees
to shield them from the thin, March wind...
close to the impasse-annihilating spray
of your waterfall
your mind excited, charged,
the miracle, unfolding on your page.
John Garth Raubenheimer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (For Rebecca Scarberry... Author Of Messages From Henry by John Garth Raubenheimer )
- Solace in Solitude, Donald R Charon
- On Being Governed, Donald R Charon
- All are mine, gajanan mishra
- Our Air, Foster Teegarden
- I wear a sweater now, The Princess
- Morning Triku V, Steve Kittell
- To My Love, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Scrutinized As Being Abusive, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Sting, Foster Teegarden
- Some Ghoul, Foster Teegarden
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)