Grandma's Quilted Garden
Designed and stitched together, seamless years ago,
It's blooms seem always brightest midst the wind and snow.
My grandma's quilted garden quells the frosty night,
Small hexagonal pieces shape the flowers bright.
The many colored petals, yellow, blue, and red,
Have chased the fevered chills and soothed the aching head.
They've rocked the restless baby snuggled for a nap,
And touched a broken heart when tucked across a lap.
I see her cotton curtains, aprons, and much more,
A cheery splash of sun that greets her kitchen floor.
And all the smidgen pieces, saved to make the quilt,
Found favor in a place where posies never wilt.
There live my grandma's foxglove, pinks, and purple sage,
I see her smiling, putting rainbows in a vase.
A tiny stain, a loosened seam, a wand'ring thread,
Still lifting spirits with it's blossoms on the bed.
Grandma's quilted garden does graciously survive,
Keeping life's brief moments enduringly alive.
Connie Yost's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Grandma's Quilted Garden by Connie Yost )
- Halloween, lee fones
- Canned thoughts, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Aunt Giovanna, at 80, Gary Corseri
- For To be An Indian English Poet, You St.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Magical, David Harris
- A Necessary Wish, Sandra Feldman
- Stations of life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Waves of customers inside those stores, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Leading Me Home, Heather Burns
- She's mad at me today, Louis Borgo
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)