If I live or if I die
If longer I live
I'll continue to give,
If shortly I may die
Then I'll cease to try.
When my hopes are high
I'll fly up towards the sky,
When my lamp suddenly ceases to glow
I'll rest in the grave below.
When I fly up to the sky
Who'll catch me?
When I cease to try
Then who'll bury me?
Before I die
I'll cease not to try,
As long as I do live
I'll quit not to give.
So, Lord, give me blessings ample
I pray thee,
I wanna lead by example
Whatever the case may be!
Give me enough food and to spare
Enough to sup and to share.
I wanna give! give! give!
As long as I live!
Some will come back and thank me!
I wanna try! try! try!
Before I dare to die,
Some will come and bury me!
Comfort Ndlovu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (If I live or if I die by Comfort Ndlovu )
- An ugly sniper, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- AAA, Vera Sidhwa
- my love to you is simple, James Berth
- Ebola, Stephen Wylie
- To the occupied lands' people, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- colorblind, James Berth
- Why Didn't They Meet?, Lora Colon
- Longing for Love, Brenda Harris
- closed shop, lee fones
- Gentle Night The wick Has Burned, Is It Poetry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A child said, What is the grass?, Walt Whitman
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)