If I live or if I die
If longer I live
I'll continue to give,
If shortly I may die
Then I'll cease to try.
When my hopes are high
I'll fly up towards the sky,
When my lamp suddenly ceases to glow
I'll rest in the grave below.
When I fly up to the sky
Who'll catch me?
When I cease to try
Then who'll bury me?
Before I die
I'll cease not to try,
As long as I do live
I'll quit not to give.
So, Lord, give me blessings ample
I pray thee,
I wanna lead by example
Whatever the case may be!
Give me enough food and to spare
Enough to sup and to share.
I wanna give! give! give!
As long as I live!
Some will come back and thank me!
I wanna try! try! try!
Before I dare to die,
Some will come and bury me!
Comfort Ndlovu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (If I live or if I die by Comfort Ndlovu )
- With love at once, hasmukh amathalal
- Through A Puppet's Eyes (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Illusion perpetuates., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Love inspired meetings inspire, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Autumn, Deborah Kelley
- Fear of God?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Keep On Groovin', Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Benefits For Them Do Not Exist, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Come close, hasmukh amathalal
- Cows caught, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 March 1941 -)