Journals Of An Unknown Gentleman
'Twas a night of raging rain
My searing temples, sleep refrained!
Thence I sighed, 'Death is nigh! '
Whilst dark rain neighed his war-cry.
Anon I had a fleeting vision
Of a haggard man, glum and musing,
A parched quill pining to drown in ink
And a candle illumining barren parchments.
A balm it proved to my throes
Unease allayed, I eased to sleep.
Quite a start the morn did gift
For on my quilt, lo! a diary lay!
Whence I found that queer chronicle
Of an unknown gentleman, I know not!
Neither can I, an artless plebeian
Make sense of the wretched ravings.
Wouldst thou then, O wise wayfarer,
Hearken to the phantasms of the nameless?
And pray, enlighten me, O wise wayfarer
On these reflections of the anonymous.
P.S - The aforementioned poem serves as a prologue to a work titled 'Journals Of An Unknown Gentleman', published in my blog, 'Rain ~ Ideas & Idylls Of An Idle Idealist'. Kindly visit the blog (link available in my 'PoemHunter' profile) so that the verse may be understood in its entirety. Thanking you.
Rohith Ramdas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Journals Of An Unknown Gentleman by Rohith Ramdas )
- Hold The Day, cecil hickman
- HUDHUD, Kavya ...
- iphone6+▣오피뷰▣ 동묘오피 대전오피 논란「OPGANDA/COM」, cisnkxld cisnkxld
- THAT TWINKLE IN GOD'S EYES, michael walkerjohn
- Heart aches bleed, Brian Kilpatrick
- The feed on the darkness, Brian Kilpatrick
- Suffocation, Leong Ming Loong
- My Mind's Eye, Margaret Alice Second
- Ego, Leong Ming Loong
- OPGANDA/COM≡오피뷰≡ UEFA ∥강서오피대박∥▣∥종로오피∥, cisnkxld cisnkxld
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)