Journals Of An Unknown Gentleman
'Twas a night of raging rain
My searing temples, sleep refrained!
Thence I sighed, 'Death is nigh! '
Whilst dark rain neighed his war-cry.
Anon I had a fleeting vision
Of a haggard man, glum and musing,
A parched quill pining to drown in ink
And a candle illumining barren parchments.
A balm it proved to my throes
Unease allayed, I eased to sleep.
Quite a start the morn did gift
For on my quilt, lo! a diary lay!
Whence I found that queer chronicle
Of an unknown gentleman, I know not!
Neither can I, an artless plebeian
Make sense of the wretched ravings.
Wouldst thou then, O wise wayfarer,
Hearken to the phantasms of the nameless?
And pray, enlighten me, O wise wayfarer
On these reflections of the anonymous.
P.S - The aforementioned poem serves as a prologue to a work titled 'Journals Of An Unknown Gentleman', published in my blog, 'Rain ~ Ideas & Idylls Of An Idle Idealist'. Kindly visit the blog (link available in my 'PoemHunter' profile) so that the verse may be understood in its entirety. Thanking you.
Rohith Ramdas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Journals Of An Unknown Gentleman by Rohith Ramdas )
- Seven Bowls, michael walkerjohn
- Fear's Embrace, michael walkerjohn
- A Good Song, tolu ogundare
- The People Worry, michael walkerjohn
- Light Lost, michael walkerjohn
- Reflecting, Josh Terpening
- Word Shadows, michael walkerjohn
- Blockbuster, Lev Brekhman
- Uncertain feeling, Lev Brekhman
- Intricacies of perception, Lev Brekhman
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Brook, Alfred Lord Tennyson
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Frederick George Scott
(7 April 1861 – 19 January 1944)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)