:) My Dad's Classic Faith
At 50 I finally see
What precocious 10 could sense
but not articulate
The Mass - was only the ice berg's tip at sea.
Dad was an earnest lad
Son of a Gloucester gal
Sweet fish monger of deep faith
And an alcoholic father
Who wounded Dad's deep pride.
War and a Naushon Forbes
Gave Dad his life long tasks
He understood the savagery of life
Yet left the chimes of music to a valley.
Dad would not take a drink
The Pope could not have ordered it
Nor any lesser mortal
His hope was in that Mass
Though he may well have known
But never said a word
That Father's secretary
Took care of more than paper.
Do not carelessly dismiss
This thing called faith
That spared me an alcoholic father
A harsh man who could not understand a poet son
He understood this world
I can not blame his need of hope for another.
Bill Grace's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (:) My Dad's Classic Faith by Bill Grace )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Wolf in the Heart, mazHur Butt
- I burped after I wrote this, Jena Crowe
- REMOVE Jefferson Carter, Richard Thripp
- Damned if I do damned if you don't, Mark Heathcote
- Black Gloves, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Even though late, hasmukh amathalal
- What a curtain Bisbee has, Amy Michelle Mosier
- The Shockers, Sandra Feldman
- Rather than talking to walls, Amy Michelle Mosier
- July 11,1991, Amy Michelle Mosier