My Trusted Friend
In my darkest hours, when I need him most,
he is always there, ready and waiting.
He sits across from me with a steely,
penetrating look and unblinking eye.
Never mincing words, his approach is
straightforward, unambiguous, unforgiving,
and uncompromising. He listens
patiently, but is never emotional.
He always hears me out let's me say it all
with no interruptions. He understands,
but at the end his answer is always
the same. His wisdom is piercing, always
firm, and final, brutally honest,
no back and forth, no ups or downs,
no ifs and or buts. His single word
of advice may be the only thing
to ever penetrate my thick, stubborn
skull. He seems to always say: 'When you are ready,
I am here for you. I would never fail you.
I will help you reach that next level.
Make sure it is a time of no regrets,
no sentimentality, no tears,
no looking back, as there is no going back.'
Always that silent answer.
Ironically, he needs me to help him,
help me, and I feel safe with my trusted,
but not yet tested friend; my loaded
Smith and Wesson forty five.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (My Trusted Friend by Mike Acker )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Exercises Of The Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Accounting For Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The Best Is To Forget, Shalom Freedman
- Esta noche, Sergio Jaime
- My Pen Is Happy, King Happy
- All of The Above, King Happy
- In a Minute, King Happy
- Knowing and accepting, gajanan mishra
- Lady of Enigma, NimmyMAry Kurian