My Trusted Friend
In my darkest hours, when I need him most,
he is always there, ready and waiting.
He sits across from me with a steely,
penetrating look and unblinking eye.
Never mincing words, his approach is
straightforward, unambiguous, unforgiving,
and uncompromising. He listens
patiently, but is never emotional.
He always hears me out let's me say it all
with no interruptions. He understands,
but at the end his answer is always
the same. His wisdom is piercing, always
firm, and final, brutally honest,
no back and forth, no ups or downs,
no ifs and or buts. His single word
of advice may be the only thing
to ever penetrate my thick, stubborn
skull. He seems to always say: 'When you are ready,
I am here for you. I would never fail you.
I will help you reach that next level.
Make sure it is a time of no regrets,
no sentimentality, no tears,
no looking back, as there is no going back.'
Always that silent answer.
Ironically, he needs me to help him,
help me, and I feel safe with my trusted,
but not yet tested friend; my loaded
Smith and Wesson forty five.
Mike Acker's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (My Trusted Friend by Mike Acker )
- hick-eww, Mandolyn ...
- child full of love, Miss. Tanease Berry
- ACTUAL SIZE, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Temptation, Misty Wills
- Lust, Tania Montgomery
- I catch in there plummet:, Mark Heathcote
- Old Man with Baggy Specs, Kumarmani Mahakul
- The Gamesome Boy, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Beauty In The Seeing, Richard Provencher
- ADDRESS TO AN ONION, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)