john chizoba vincent
The nineteen sixty of my memory
The white label was changed to black.
Then came the black lions with a sharpened teeth
And mouth so wide to devour the economy.
They sang to the whites that we could handle ourselves
But all their dreams were to mislead and embezzle
The priceless gift of nature endowed to us
Leaving behind the etiquette and good manners of patriotism.
after the republic arrived in the nation,
Then the lions started biting and chewing
Our bodies, tolling and devouring our wealth.
Our forehead marked the spot they have bitten,
We howled but no rescue came because
The white labels had gone, gone for good.
Then the war came with its mighty hands
To worsen our situation.
There, our brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers died honourably.
our dreams were dashed away crying,
houses burnt down sadly
Peace were asked to leave for fear and war.
Hunger were asked to speak for satisfaction.
Could nineteen sixty be remembered for good?
Could we still smile in our humble land?
When shall the future come, leaders?
We measure our suffering with smiles
Yet things are not getting better.
In the nineteen sixty of my memory,
The flag was raised to welcome peace
As a significant of the white laid in between.
Yet peace and harmony remain far beyond.
The pigs deceived us in the believing their selfish interest
Our blood the street dogs feasted on.
Why didnt we leave the white labels?
it could have been better than killing ourselves
In hatred and selfishness.
john chizoba vincent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (NINETEEN SIXTY by john chizoba vincent )
- And We Came to Pass, Abdulrasaq Akingbo Okanlambe
- Praising a Poet, 'me' by a Co-Poet!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- My Dog Lays at My Feet, David McLansky
- The two I trust (sonnet), Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Owls or rats, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Jesus, God, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- माँ का सूरज कहीं खो गया, Aftab Alam
- Brother John, Colin Ian Jeffery
- पयादे से मात, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song 2, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(23 July 1823 - 26 November 1896)
Walter de la Mare
(1873 - 1958)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)