Sadie Was A Lady
Sadie was a lady
With a thirty acre farm.
Plumpest chickens in the coop,
One good milk cow in the barn.
Seven- thirty every morning,
Sun or rain that's pouring down,
Her basket full of big brown eggs,
She made her trek to town.
City patrons often brought her
Extra taffeta and silk.
A quilt was twenty dollars,
Fifty cents would buy the milk.
Sadie owned authority,
We heard her when she spoke.
Her laughter was the hardiest,
Delivering a joke.
She tended to the sick,
She baby-sat for free,
And pushed away the dollars
In her generosity.
Way too soon she left us,
In the fall of sixty-two.
Her tiny homestead vanished,
But her spirit's strong and true.
Sadie was a lady
So integral to our past.
Her giving had no boundaries,
Winning payment now at last.
Connie Yost's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Sadie Was A Lady by Connie Yost )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Desiree Jacobsen
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah
- Everything Nothing, Ruby Honeytip
- I Lost My Heart A Time Ago, Valerie Dohren