Samantha "Sam" Gordon
Johnny Cash had a monster hit with, "A Boy Named Sue, "
To come close to that masterpiece just what can you do?
How about a 9 year-old playing football like a young man?
And a girl playing in a boys league with the handle of Sam.
She wanted to keep up with her big brother and so she did,
Running, playing, just plain hanging out like the older kids,
"Gremlins" is Salt Lake City's version of, "Pee Wee Ball, "
The way Samantha Gordon plays is she headed for the Hall?
232 carries,1,911 yards,35 touchdowns,8.2 yards per carry,
For a boy this is phenomenal but a girl, it is downright scary,
Putting her in practice drills she out ran boys two years older,
Playing in the, "Sharks and Minnows" game proved even bolder.
Staring at her speed and ability to move like a college tailback,
Fearless! She led the charge or should I say she led the attack?
Break a tackle from multiple hits, run through, over & around,
Combination of speed & power ala Gale Sayers & Jim Brown.
As the only girl playing in an all boys league it is tough enough,
However, not for her, for them as the little lady struts her stuff,
Concern has surfaced because that game called football is rough,
But this all around athletic marvel is certainly no powder-puff.
Tags have labeled her the greatest running back under 4 feet tall,
Heck, with these amazing stats it should be greatest of them all,
Starting at quarterback even though plays are run on the ground,
On defense she has recorded 65 tackles chasing opponents down.
Her You Tube videos have gone viral garnering over 2 million hits,
And many have downloaded for wallpaper some of Sam's still pics,
Like the scripture Jeremiah 51: 27, "set ye up a standard in the land, "
Without a doubt, it's truly been accomplished by a girl named Sam.
Luke Easter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Samantha "Sam" Gordon by Luke Easter )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- I'll Never Forget, Michael P. McParland
- stealing my hostess' twinkie then givin'.., Bull Hawking
- DERBY AT THE GYM, RIC S. BASTASA
- and then the body aches., RIC S. BASTASA
- to each his own..., RIC S. BASTASA
- somehow, you keep thinking, has God forg.., RIC S. BASTASA
- two frogs jumping each other @ sueinlove.., Bull Hawking
- Come fly to me my Muse of love divine, Erato
- Who Takes The Next Step?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Stick Around, Leah Ayliffe