Perching on the sanitarium's windowsill, a mocking bird mimics the noise of a rotating surveillance camera. The Jester stares at it, for a moment forgets about the future and remembers the past. Such thoughts end in death and pills. Nostalgia is the disease.
Understand, my dear lad, fast drying ink used on tax returns and IRS forms is comprised of saturated fat.
One Open Finger-
If the ink doesn't dry fast enough?
By God! We have an answer for that. Hold a prayer under the tongue. Think of something sexual, or delicious. Salivate until the prayer leaks from the inevitable split lip. Use that as lubrication. It will dry. It will dry clear.
The glass doors open. Sunshine illuminates the streaks created from the faces of failed escapees. One that was winking disappears behind a nurse's shadow. A bullet taking their third eye, before the wink.
The Jester distracts the One Open Finger.
Two of the rules:
No Clean Glass.
No Clean Faces.
One Open Finger-
Well...see...umm...I heard the free thinkers are kept in
Haah! Keep the mischief to me!
Hands fall forward. Catching in a push-up stance. Yoga practice. This is no down-ward dog. Leg lifts, urinates on the linoleum. This is no down-ward dog.
Yes, yes, yes-SEE! Laughter! YES! I will borrow jazz notes as speech. Ticking clocks to document bankruptcies. Hire voyeurs to film bankers molesting their children! Such joy! Satisfaction is our priority.
Footsteps clack along the linoleum. An escapee taps their finger on the glass. Before a head can turn, a guard eclipses their shadow over an exit wound. As The Jester walks by with the One Open Finger, he assures all in company that is just:
A.j. Binash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Scumbags Anonymous by A.j. Binash )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- [CW]Watch The Flash Season 1 Episode 11 .., Renz Barns
Poem of the Day
- On Learning in Texas of East Coast Winte.., Bill Grace
- I'm ill, lee fones
- Goodnight My Love, Michael P. McParland
- THEM and the Next Avatar, douglas scotney
- The Devine Write of Poets, Sandra Feldman
- Poema, Samuel Smith
- Roses are Red, Mr. Spock
- Black on White and briefly Red, Diane Hine
- Enduring Faith, Dr John Celes
- "Enduring Faith', Dr John Celes