Sundress and Coffee
'You smoke now? '
She asked me.
'Just a little.'
I used to love her smiles.
She's wearing that sundress that she knows she looks good in.
'Do you still keep in touch with anyone back home? '
She asks her questions to pass the time,
To ease through the awkwardness.
I shake my head,
'No.' I add.
She smiles again.
'You look so different.' she tells me.
I guess she's right.
She looks just the same though.
She looks better.
She looks better then I remember.
She looks better then my dreams.
Six years from the first time we met
And she looks so much better.
Our coffee comes,
She thanks the waiter,
He smiles back.
I watch her take a few sips.
She smiles again, behind her glass.
'You know, ' she tells me,
'We could have had something, all those years ago,
Back when we first met.'
'We could have? ' I ask her.
'No, ' she giggles a little,
'But it's nice to dream, isn't it? '
She thinks she's being funny.
I try to smile back.
She breaths out,
Nothing but silence now.
She smiles again,
Pays for our drinks and we leave.
The smell of the coffee she never finished still lingers around me.
I wonder if the cup is still there
So I can trace my fingers on the lines of her lipstick marked on the rim.
'It's nice to dream, isn't it? '
I'll repeat the words in my head
When I try to fall asleep
Reminding myself of her smiles
And her sundress.
I get back to my apartment and sit quietly on the edge of my bed.
Nothing but silence now.
The world outside seems foreign
Outside my dreams.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sundress and Coffee by Mearon Naman )
- Captivity, Mark Heathcote
- Old Wall Clock Haiku, Chenou Liu
- Difficult Problems, Dennis Lange
- The moment, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Enough, Foster Teegarden
- Embittered, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Emerald, Foster Teegarden
- I Have In Mind, Dianne Feaver
- Cured Cancer, Foster Teegarden
- Saying one's prayers, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)