Testing The Pride Involved in Growing Up
When a boy makes the conscious decision to embrace man-hood,
He rolls the tube-sock off his impotence
And explains suicide to a Plastic Father.
All the while admiring song-birds,
That murder traffic noise
By attacking the source.
Impacting their rostrums
Into synthetic rubber.
Then separating the tear
By projecting 4x4 timing
Into a hollow tire.
As the rubber vibrates,
Rest their bottoms
On decorated tread.
He will gesture for the boy
To stand by him.
While rubbing plastic fingers
Along a second-hand jawline,
"Son, you have explained suicide
Quite well...but don't smoke cigarettes."
To which the boy replies:
"Why not? "
And this is the last instance
Because a proper Plastic Father
Will proceed to grasp the boy's wrist.
Raise it above
The boy's arching brow.
Then he will place his nose
Into the boy's perspiring armpit
And smell the puberty.
As if he were speaking
Into a hollow space,
He will say:
"Because boys stink!
Don't cover yr natural pheromones with death.
Life will do that for you."
A.j. Binash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Testing The Pride Involved in Growing Up by A.j. Binash )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Henry David Thoreau
(12 July 1817 – 6 May 1862)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Minor Bird, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Moon, Henry David Thoreau
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- She Hate Me, Gillu Rahul
- नशा है तुम्हारा, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- I'm my Messiah, Light Mark
- गणतंत्र नहीं गुणतंत्र चाहिये, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- Transportational Hazards, derrick foster
- अमीबा से ह्युमन तक, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- Crazy For You, Gillu Rahul
- दिल में तुम्हे रखा है, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- खुदा मांग ले, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- ओ घघरी, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar