! ! The Empty Nest
It happened in an instant-
the wild wind whipped
and the trees tossed their leafy hair
at a rave party.
It was over in minutes -
but the results were catastrophic!
roots sprouted from clay,
like a Dali birthday cake.
Later I ventured into the garden
(tidy too after recent endeavor)
to assess the damage.
Then I saw it -
a tiny bundle of twigs
that lacked the randomness
of the rest.
A perfect sphere of sticks,
Was it an old home
abandoned years ago
and dislodged by the wicked wind?
Or was it a more recent affair -
the nudge of spring?
I picked up the nest
with tears in my eyes.
How humbling -
to witness nature's beauty and her terror
on a single day.
Alison Cassidy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! ! The Empty Nest by Alison Cassidy )
- The Square, Frank Avon
- Shelling Peas on Boulders Beach [for my .., Gillian Commerford
- हार्थखिया मिनिदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- just orientation..many can be straighten.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Demented Souls (A re-submission), Valsa George
- King One - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- दिनैनि सानरेबाव, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Storm Within, Erika Wingo
- The Beloved XXXVI, Sadiqullah Khan
- Last Inks XXXVII, Sadiqullah Khan
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Hunger, Jayanta Mahapatra
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)