! ! The Empty Nest
It happened in an instant-
the wild wind whipped
and the trees tossed their leafy hair
at a rave party.
It was over in minutes -
but the results were catastrophic!
roots sprouted from clay,
like a Dali birthday cake.
Later I ventured into the garden
(tidy too after recent endeavor)
to assess the damage.
Then I saw it -
a tiny bundle of twigs
that lacked the randomness
of the rest.
A perfect sphere of sticks,
Was it an old home
abandoned years ago
and dislodged by the wicked wind?
Or was it a more recent affair -
the nudge of spring?
I picked up the nest
with tears in my eyes.
How humbling -
to witness nature's beauty and her terror
on a single day.
Alison Cassidy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! ! The Empty Nest by Alison Cassidy )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Graveyard, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
- Symphony of Discords By K.V.Suryanarayan.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Our Roads, Somanathan Iyer
- It's Not Just Rain, Daniel Skentelbery
- The Day After I Shouted Abuse at the Queen, Daniel Skentelbery
- Name-Calling, Diane Hine
- A pan fried fish…?, Mark Heathcote
- The Persecuted, Sandra Feldman
- wedding day, ademola oluwabusayo
- Dream the moon, Somanathan Iyer