The Empty Purse
She never went to the new superstore,
her local cost less, 'Cheap Stake' bought her more.
Rarely she glanced at each cool display stand,
cheaper each week, always lesser-known brands.
Dredged from the depths of her worn purse, she found
a lining of coins, pathetic, her mound.
A meagre supply she clutched, in her bag,
denied shops' bounty, or trolly-weight drag.
Pausing, so briefly, by warm Paper Shop,
certain she could not, afford now, to stop.
Her dreams left untouched, with lottery card,
her bills were chance-paid, reminders hit hard.
She reached home depressed and slammed shut the door,
groceries unpacked, still spartan her store.
Pan-boiled, her cuppa, a tin-meal unmade,
flicked radio switch and heard of a raid.
A great haul taken, the shop down her road,
a full day’s takings, so massive their load.
She muttered, to hear her own doorbell ring,
slammed chain-locks aside, and let the door swing.
A young man, polite, discussed charity,
she fumbled with purse, but knew he could see.
Some paper he pushed, bare, into her hand,
“I’m Robin, ” he breathed. “Just one of the Band.”
Purple, brown papers attracted her eye,
puzzled, she looked up, to wish him 'Goodbye'.
Yet there was no-one, in place where he'd stood,
just glimpsed, down the road, the back of a hood.
Wendy Webb's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Empty Purse by Wendy Webb )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Moment Of Happiness, Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
Poem of the Day
- My Soul, Michael P. McParland
- Love is Blind, Apolynn Lagaras
- My Sweet Angel Dove, Michael P. McParland
- My Sweet Lady, Michael P. McParland
- My Sweet Love, Michael P. McParland
- My Queen 3, Michael P. McParland
- My Queen 2, Michael P. McParland
- My Queen, Michael P. McParland
- My Promise, Michael P. McParland
- My Prayer, Michael P. McParland