Ah, my friend!
Come, sit, it has been a long while.
It is just me now.
Melchior left us soon after,
Worn out by the journey.
Balthazar, gone just this year.
Yes, we kept in touch,
Yet it has been many years
Since we last heard
Anything about that boy in the barn.
Maybe Herod found him after all
Despite our precautions.
We were so sure.
The star guiding us straight to him,
The assured acceptance of the kingly gifts.
All seemed correct and inevitable.
But we returned with a sense of uncertainty,
Uncomfortable with a shifting of our time.
Does the boy yet live?
He is near a man now if he does.
Maybe a carpenter like his father;
Maybe a fisherman.
Will he be king?
Stranger things happen,
Though this child troubled me.
I see him still,
Lying in the feed trough.
Surely a king
Would be born in more comfortable surroundings.
They called us wise,
But I cannot see through this,
My conflicted mind asks
“Could we have been wrong?
Were we old fools already? ”
I suppose I shall not know.
My time is coming to its end.
I am too old for another journey
And no word, no word.
Charles Darnell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Magi by Charles Darnell )
- The nasty people الهبابير, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The not so cold wind blows, Bill Cantrell
- The Swing Door., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Unchampioning The Champion, Walter T Rambwi
- What they say!, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Blue, david kush
- A Few Autumn Notes Late October 2014, Daniel Brick
- Ficticious, Nicholas Nikolov
- Love Is Weak, Tony Adah
- Behind the rock of suicide خلف صخرة الان.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns