The Night Before Christmas
T’was the night before Christmas;
A knock came to the door.
T’was a message from the Shoestring’s
To say they’d moved house once more.
Well! Santa set fire to his whiskas;
Uncle Holly threw a fit.
The Elves doubled up with laughter,
They didn’t care one bit.
You see, the presents had already been labelled,
The Sleigh was packed and set to go.
The Stars were lit
And the Clouds switched on
To ensure a good fall of snow.
Rudolph’s nose grew visibly paler.
The Reindeers stamped their hooves,
Making sparks fly from the cobblestones
When Santa shouted … “Stop! Nothing moves! ”
He said “They’ve moved just once too often”
And then (cheered on by the Elves) ,
Said “If they really want their Christmas presents,
They can fetch the ruddy things themselves! ”
Poem Notes: -
At Christmas we like to remember friends and family, even if we have not seen them for a long while. For some of us, the Christmas card address list is a nightmare of old diary entries; crossed out references; bits of scribble on scraps of paper where we have tried to keep track of people’s new home addresses, often in vain.
We ourselves have moved house many times, and on several occasions very close to the Christmas period, and we always felt guilty at having to mess everyone’s address books yet again.
This verse echoes the sentiment that I am sure would have been shared by many of our friends on hearing that we had moved ‘once more’.
David Shoestring's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Night Before Christmas by David Shoestring )
- The Ocean's Gates, Brandt Nightingale
- Tribute to the King, Tania Montgomery
- Abyss, Donald R Charon
- Ode to the Busker, Tania Montgomery
- I have forgotten who I am, gajanan mishra
- Love is a liquid ~~~ vs.56, Mr. Nobody Nothing
- HE IS A MAN, Donald R Charon
- Dead Stone, ramesh rai
- Our Lives, Sandra Feldman
- All Mine, For Me, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To Someone Special On PoemHunter, Electric Lady
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, Francis William Bourdillon
- Cleanliness and Happiness, chandra thiagarajan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ono no Komachi
(c. 825—c. 900))
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)