The Train Journey
The fireman shovelled on the coal,
The driver blew the whistle;
The coaches lurched - away we went,
Through heather and the thistle.
The rain was cold and bleaching down,
Though I didn't have a care;
The countryside was flying by,
And wind blew through my hair.
The speed amazed me as we went,
The way we travelled on;
In the fields the sheep looked up,
And scattered all as one.
Clickety clack the wheels went round,
Driven by the power,
Of steam and smoke - and wheel and spoke,
At sixty miles an hour.
A mile a minute traveling now,
Speeding forth with grace;
My heart stood still,
As we climed the hill,
To the crest at such a pace.
Down the hill we went this time,
Full speed and going with ease;
The driver blew the whistle again,
As we travelled through the trees.
Past the level crossing gates,
We flew with such a pace,
The children stood and waved at us,
A smile upon each face.
Slowing down apporoaching now,
The platform of the station,
The thrill had gone-
When the brakes came on,
For the journeys termination.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Train Journey by Trevor Jenkins )
- "...through your rape whistle", Jeff Gangwer
- "Angels are...", Jeff Gangwer
- Your Ghost Doesn't Haunt This Room, Jeff Gangwer
- She Wore Poison on Her Neck, Jeff Gangwer
- Yes or No?, Jeff Gangwer
- A. A. Anzarannii As An Indian English Po.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- From My List of Annoyances, Jeff Gangwer
- When A Flower Glooms, Eshan Gupta
- A Wealth, Like Truth, Jeff Gangwer
- "If I believed in your heaven...&qu.., Jeff Gangwer
Poem of the Day
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)