Hearts are encumbered and lifeless,
And lives are not flighty and strife-less.
Vines of Vengeance tighten their cords,
Suffocating the pleading innocents, while Republic snores...
For life is but an uneven recall,
Those days of crocodile tears.
When 'they' stifled...oh, 'they' stifled!
All those meaningless frightened fears.
Those days of auld lang syne,
Those prism-like rays of forgotten sunshine,
Those childhood ornamental 'Frankensteins.'
Those days....hardly shadows now.
But their undeserved punishment taunts them,
And their looming faith climbs pinnacles to haunt them.
Illuminated flashes bravely attempt to comfort them,
But succeeding only in drawing nostalgic tears.
The Cimmerian silence, that uncertain void is gaunt,
Both in demeanour and disposition.
How 'they' never deemed worthy of that crime!
But were now being led to the guillotine!
They were pushed towards death, and left choice-less
Despairing in how they are voice-less!
'They' now confront Injustice and her sisters.
Watching families being shredded by these 'twisters.'
Yesterdays when 'happiness' truly bore meaning,
When 'desperate' and 'longing' were mere words.
But while these thoughts were flowing- no, streaming
One by one, 'they' stepped forwards and off came each head.
Their last thoughts had been screaming.
Screaming for truth, cursing false blame!
And wondering why: why us?
These were the last thoughts each person recalled
Before that abomination of a guillotine deemed them dead.
Mariam Taufeeq's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem ('They' recall by Mariam Taufeeq )
- Scotland: My Love Renewed, Paul Gerard Reed
- Rosalinda, Edward Kofi Louis
- Losing Your Temper, Edward Kofi Louis
- Testing Memories, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- To Watch My Steps, Edward Kofi Louis
- Must Not Withdraw, Zulfiqar Ali Bhatti
- To blow the scent of flowers of friendsh.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Badagry, Edward Kofi Louis
- drawn to the mountain, Thomas Leathandrum
- To Reward You, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Percy Bysshe Shelley