They say we need another half...
They say we need another half –
As if we're not sufficient on our own,
As if whatever we are isn't enough.
They tell us to look for the so-called 'love',
Mistaking for it banal infatuation, or genuine gratitude,
Or every other thing we never think to seek within ourselves…
And I was one of your most brilliant students,
Wasting years on yearning for things others cannot possibly give me,
Dreaming of this bliss, reserved, apparently, for only the 'soul-mates',
Feeling broken for not finding,
Feeling sick at the thought of compromising,
Terrified of life in solitude, either alone or with unloved.
I've been misguided by misguided ones. But I know better now.
There are no other halves. There is no need to seek or pine – it's of no use.
My life – neglected all the while – has been impatiently waiting.
It missed me, I believe. I'm here to live it now, scared, yet… free?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (They say we need another half... by Anna Kirshenbaum )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Boxed, Barisan Chatterjee
- The Figure of a Priest, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Night and heavens, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Rattling, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Half moon, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Hand That moves round, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Round and round The nymph Danced, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Down By The Sea, Lilly Emery
- The Taxi Ride, Nick krakana
- Wild night birds, Emmanuel George Cefai