Two Green Tomatoes Smashed In The Street
that says a lot about this part of town...
was there a worm in the first tomato? did the person gag?
throw them out the window while the driver laughed,
and lit up a fag?
nobody eats green tomatoes around here...
funyuns? yes'm. dr. pepper and sunflower seeds? more please.
none for me, i'm not that hip-
i like to dip my finger
in the peanut butter jar
my hip is not as fit
as it was five years ago...
but it throws them
when i wake up in a weird position-
for instance, curled up in a ball, touching the wall
with my forehead- how the hell did that happen?
that says a lot about my dreams.
i probably scream inside them, looking for an exit
looking for a handle, a candle to guide me to morning...
and when the morning yawns and says get up, i play dead.
sometimes i want to crawl back in
no matter how dim the scene was-
that says a lot about my job- i'm no desk hog, no feet in the bog
that would be great though- i'd wrestle alligators for a living
giving people a reason to question my sanity
-it's because i'm a hunter deep down inside, a raging lunatic!
or it's because i just really miss water around here and i've
never held a reptile with super sharp teeth.
i'll beef this up some, just wait for it-
my work is not much, but it touches a nerve
when i walk upstairs, tie back my hair
look the lunch ladies square in the eye and say
'alright, let's serve some tator tots! '
smile like i'm a christian robot- high on prayer
and thanksgiving and everything living for Jesus....
i'm living a lie. oh i love Jesus... don't get me wrong.
but those songs and pats to the back
make me want to smack a pew and say
'whew! glad i didn't cuss'
what's all the fuss about anyway?
it's all about grace and mercy and love
not shove your way to the pulpit
so you can have dibs on the first communion.
i love the Lord- I do. I do.
his word and truth, it's alive in my heart
nothing can take that away-
not even a tray of fresh pastries...
that says a lot about my diet.
Mandolyn ...'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Two Green Tomatoes Smashed In The Street by Mandolyn ... )
Did you read them?
- Pride and Devotion, R B Seals
- tO Watch? 'The Maze Runner' 2014 online .., canadi arese
- Piece of peace, george albot
- THE POEM FROM HINTERLAND, SirLalianMwittah Nyalali
- An Elixir, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sirene, Tanja Bulovic
- Dream Life, Nassy Fesharaki
- u want? Watch 'Divergent' Free Online St.., ada ajakaunak
- The Jackalope Man, Like a Goose to Florida, Bruce Larkin
- I'm Wally the Wacky Warlock, Bruce Larkin
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- FRee! ! Barcelona vs Ajax Live. Streamin.., miami dupli
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)