Gregory Allen Uhan
Upon Remembering A Burgess Garden Holiday
Jagged Polar Crests Oceanic stone towers
Eidolon of Ishtar incarnate perched overhead
atrous shadow urubus nest loom
the slain ensanguined fascist of doom!
Glittering vespertine hours
Sky ablaze! O Glory!
Scarred charred bomb beaten earth
soothed by fresh falling blanket of Alpine snow!
Imagination running wild through the
Playing soldier flanked by the Austrian Alps
Hollywood back-dropp snowy panoramic vistas
The Grand facade of the old hotel!
Barracks of ambitious schizophrenic design
world world two commune
housing soldiers of the damned madman
Hear the whispers of redrum
taste the sour stale drunk nazi breath
still lingering through the Kubrickian
crimson carpeted corridors.
The pounding on the walls not Johnny
but the presence of man much sinister
A nation taken hostage by the passionate threat of the Luger
A people forsaken in the pursuit of self fulfilling prophecy.
Veterans still reeling for the PTShangover so many generations later.
Present Day Burgess Gardens
Here I am now a boy five years old
Days of holiday retreat!
Families of enlisted Americans
Peace time Deutschland civilians
Dancing Dining Laughing Drinking
The Ballroom the Dancehall
Parents playing slots while the kids
lose themselves in the lights of the arcade
Tourists from all over the world gathered to guffaw
atop the grave of the derailed underground locomotive
Gregory Allen Uhan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Upon Remembering A Burgess Garden Holiday by Gregory Allen Uhan )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Mark Strand
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Be Kind, Charles Bukowski
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Lament Before The Eve, lingering stupor
- Sons of the nature, gajanan mishra
- The Death of Poetry, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Christmas Scene, Salim R Javed
- Girls are not a burden.A sweet conversat.., Salim R Javed
- Night, Leong Ming Loong
- The Tired Smile, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood and Gore, Leong Ming Loong
- Expressly For A Friend..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Welcome Love, Sari Mavi