Gregory Allen Uhan
Upon Remembering A Burgess Garden Holiday
Jagged Polar Crests Oceanic stone towers
Eidolon of Ishtar incarnate perched overhead
atrous shadow urubus nest loom
the slain ensanguined fascist of doom!
Glittering vespertine hours
Sky ablaze! O Glory!
Scarred charred bomb beaten earth
soothed by fresh falling blanket of Alpine snow!
Imagination running wild through the
Playing soldier flanked by the Austrian Alps
Hollywood back-dropp snowy panoramic vistas
The Grand facade of the old hotel!
Barracks of ambitious schizophrenic design
world world two commune
housing soldiers of the damned madman
Hear the whispers of redrum
taste the sour stale drunk nazi breath
still lingering through the Kubrickian
crimson carpeted corridors.
The pounding on the walls not Johnny
but the presence of man much sinister
A nation taken hostage by the passionate threat of the Luger
A people forsaken in the pursuit of self fulfilling prophecy.
Veterans still reeling for the PTShangover so many generations later.
Present Day Burgess Gardens
Here I am now a boy five years old
Days of holiday retreat!
Families of enlisted Americans
Peace time Deutschland civilians
Dancing Dining Laughing Drinking
The Ballroom the Dancehall
Parents playing slots while the kids
lose themselves in the lights of the arcade
Tourists from all over the world gathered to guffaw
atop the grave of the derailed underground locomotive
Gregory Allen Uhan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Upon Remembering A Burgess Garden Holiday by Gregory Allen Uhan )
- Burning The Letters, Sylvia Plath
- On Edge at Midnight, Kimani wa Mumbi
- Why do we need friends, Bineeta Kharga
- My Body ain't a Lab, it's a Temple. Wors.., Kimani wa Mumbi
- Black Pine Tree In An Orange Light, Sylvia Plath
- treasure and love, sultan mahmud
- Gulliver, Sylvia Plath
- Dare to speak out loud, SREEJITH KULAPARAMBIL
- All Were You, SREEJITH KULAPARAMBIL
- A Winter Ship, Sylvia Plath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan