Gregory Allen Uhan
Upon Remembering A Burgess Garden Holiday
Jagged Polar Crests Oceanic stone towers
Eidolon of Ishtar incarnate perched overhead
atrous shadow urubus nest loom
the slain ensanguined fascist of doom!
Glittering vespertine hours
Sky ablaze! O Glory!
Scarred charred bomb beaten earth
soothed by fresh falling blanket of Alpine snow!
Imagination running wild through the
Playing soldier flanked by the Austrian Alps
Hollywood back-dropp snowy panoramic vistas
The Grand facade of the old hotel!
Barracks of ambitious schizophrenic design
world world two commune
housing soldiers of the damned madman
Hear the whispers of redrum
taste the sour stale drunk nazi breath
still lingering through the Kubrickian
crimson carpeted corridors.
The pounding on the walls not Johnny
but the presence of man much sinister
A nation taken hostage by the passionate threat of the Luger
A people forsaken in the pursuit of self fulfilling prophecy.
Veterans still reeling for the PTShangover so many generations later.
Present Day Burgess Gardens
Here I am now a boy five years old
Days of holiday retreat!
Families of enlisted Americans
Peace time Deutschland civilians
Dancing Dining Laughing Drinking
The Ballroom the Dancehall
Parents playing slots while the kids
lose themselves in the lights of the arcade
Tourists from all over the world gathered to guffaw
atop the grave of the derailed underground locomotive
Gregory Allen Uhan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Upon Remembering A Burgess Garden Holiday by Gregory Allen Uhan )
- 'Charlie Girl', Katherine Nordhaus
- Madrigal Dedicated To An Angel., Marcondes Pereira
- Halloween, lee fones
- Canned thoughts, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Aunt Giovanna, at 80, Gary Corseri
- For To be An Indian English Poet, You St.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Magical, David Harris
- A Necessary Wish, Sandra Feldman
- Stations of life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Waves of customers inside those stores, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Before I Knocked, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)