What Is A Riddle?
What is a riddle without ending?
What is a riddle without recording?
What is a riddle without beginning?
What is a riddle without answer?
A riddle without ending,
Will never be finished,
And never fully understood,
So why is it so compelling?
A riddle without recording,
Will never be heard,
And never fully recognized,
So why is it so visible?
A riddle without beginning,
Will never be completed,
And never fully manifest,
So why is it so powerful?
A riddle without answer,
Will never be specified,
And never fully documented,
So why is it so special?
But how can you answer,
Four riddles to your first,
And four riddles to your own,
How can it exist?
An answer without answer,
Seems to be a clue,
But does this clue,
Have an answer without question?
This is the line,
A line without ending,
As long as there is knowledge,
But will it end with that?
The great celestial bodies,
May hold the key,
But seem to elude,
Our thirst to solve?
So now you must think,
Of what is with you always,
And what is so fragile,
That can be taken with a single strike?
What is the answer,
But does the answer,
Differ from its answer,
Do you see what cannot go unseen?
Do you understand the the meaning of answer without answer?
Do you know what you hold onto and never live to see it let go?
Do you contemplate how something so precious has lasted so long?
Do you see... Life?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Is A Riddle? by Colin Liepmann )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(June 8, 1915 – November 19, 2011)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Failure of Communion, Judith Wright
- A Sketch, William Wordsworth
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- A Dream Of Death, Luo Zhihai
- Why Life?, Sandra Feldman
- Adrenaline, Raihana Abdul Jabbar
- What was this feeling?, Sergio Jaime
- MERI PRAKRATI, Gunjan Panchal
- There Are So Many Things I Can Still Do, Shalom Freedman
- Heedless, Jubril Balogun
- Missing You, Michael P. McParland
- Against my empty soul, Bee Kilpatrick
- Which One Do I Choose?, Julie Johnson