What Is Conceptual Poetry?
(Q) what is conceptual poetry? some notes from the conference 2008
tags: Bernadette Mayer, conceptual poetry, Kenneth Goldsmith, Laynie Brown
INTRO: I spent the last few days at the Conceptual Poetry & Its Others conference in Tucson. (I was definitely one of the others.)
To those uninitiated, a conceptual poem has a 'concept' or idea behind it which often and typically supercedes other 'aesthetic' notions imposed upon a work by writers. These ideas often take the form of a contraint, for example to type every word and punctuation and mark on the page of the September 1,2000 edition of the New York Times ala Kenneth Goldsmith's 900 page work entitled Day (of which he appears oddly proud that no one bothers to read) . Works are collaborative in nature, whether the collaborators intend to be part of the project or not, as conceptional poets appropriate many if not most of their texts from other sources.
Or as Laynie Browne put it in her collaborative piece with responses from over 50 poets and by using a computer analysis to compose the following answer to the question 'What is conceptual poetry? '
A can of call and response. An unfortunate noun modified by an adjective. What poets are NOT conceptual. It makes me ambient. Quagmire out side of texts. For example, Kathleen Fraser's essay, on 'Partial Local Coherence.' My life is a highly conceptual work. Predicated on the desanctification of the aesthetic object. Hejinian's poems, often organized around grammatical structures. Idea has preference. Bernadette Mayer-how can Utopia not be conceptual? It began with Acconci and Mayer's 0-9. Foulipo (Spahr and Young's piece) was conceptual. Given Dworkin's definition, I'll have to change my bio note. Language beyond born.
(A) My kind of conceptual poetry is integrational, wisdom-oriented and improvisational beyond concepts of settlements in ever-changing situational simulacrum.
(B) the process of conceptualization:
4]formation of concepts
5]assimilation of concepts to get the space for uncreative consistency through your life, leading to the path to wisdom mobil
6]mature but real impossible simplicity of conceptual poetic condition
7]revisiting the poetry you have already known through your mindscape
That is my kind of conceptual poetry, genreless art formation process
(C) Dimensions of conceptual poetry:
1]structural[pretext, context, text and post-text human condition]
2]functional [meaning, understanding, communication of message or information]
3]spiritual[ideas, fancy, imagination, emotion machine]
4]wisdom [integrated insight, intuitive awareness, second-phase of consciousness-raising process]
6]concreteness of being
(D) 24 machineries of conceptual poetics from Buddist's philosophy, which moves around the human world and a human life(in Pali, it is called '24 pittsee': 24 supporting machineries in a man's body-mind functional world.(The text 'Pahtan'is said to be the deepest and the most sublime one in Buddha's philosophy.
(E) A manifesto of an age of meaning disasters in a conceptual reflection and contemplations-an against -literature-poetry manifestation:
(Conceptual/post-conceptual) manifesto Of Contemporary Poetry(2012)
Contemporary poetry is a junction zone of distilled sky and earth of
(4) .new aesthetics
(5) .contemporary socio-cultural-economic-moral-political-technolog ical issues reflecting power and knowledge
(6) .initiated knowledeg and creative wisdom of contemporaneity6.moment-to-moment decision making process
(7) .Alchemy between existing contemporary literary theory and working definitions of a practising and operational poet after modernist's literature and poetry
(8) .the end of literary genre concept
(9) .the concept of the continuum-chance, change, revisiting and reconceptualization
(10) .Contemplating on quotidian mental and physical experiences.
(11) Understanding, realizing, appreciating and making conceptual and post-conceptual poetry.
Everyday and night, I can sleep very well without hesitations.
Nyein Way's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Is Conceptual Poetry? by Nyein Way )
- How are you hittin' it?, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- The Forsaken Tradition, ALEX OGOH
- The different images in life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- India To Vow, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- A Touch of Fall, Rhonda Trull
- YEN, Gina Borrebach
- Geleefd, geliefd, verzonken, Madrason writer
- That coming Fall, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Set of Compromises, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- A Fundamental Fruit Of The Soul, Romella Kitchens
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- How Attractive Are You, Shaun Shane
- Daffodil, Shaun Shane
- 06 Perpetual Optimism, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 03 a love who's just like me, Shaun Shane
- what i am, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)