Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis Poems
- A Change Of Air Now, a man in Oodnadatta He grew fat, and he...
- Hist! Hist! . . . . . . Hark! The night is very dark, And ...
- Going To School Did you see them pass to-day, Billy, Kate and...
- Growing Up
- The Circus Hey, there! Hoop-la! the circus is in town! Have...
- The Ant Explorer Once a little sugar ant made up his mind to ...
- The Band Hey, there! Listen awhile! Listen awhile, and ...
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis, better known as C. J. Dennis, was an Australian poet known for his humorous poems, especially "The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke", published in the early 20th century. Though Dennis's work is less well known today, his 1916 publication of The Sentimental Bloke sold 65,000 copies in its first year, and by 1917 he was the most prosperous poet in Australian history.
Together with Banjo Paterson and Henry Lawson, both of whom he collaborated with, he is often considered among Australia's three most famous poets.
When he died at the age of 61, the Prime Minister of Australia Joseph Lyons suggested he was destined to be ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
A Change Of Air
Now, a man in Oodnadatta
He grew fat, and he grew fatter,
Though he hardly had a thing to eat for dinner;
While a man in Booboorowie
Often sat and wondered how he
Could prevent himself from growing any thinner.
So the man from Oodnadatta
He came down to Booboorowie,
Where he rapidly grew flatter;
And the folk will tell you how he
Urged the man from Booboorowie
To go up to Oodnadatta -
Where he lived awhile, and now he
Is considerably fatter.