Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis Poems
- The Ant Explorer Once a little sugar ant made up his mind to ...
- Hist! Hist! . . . . . . Hark! The night is very dark, And ...
- A Change Of Air Now, a man in Oodnadatta He grew fat, and he...
- A Cricket Casualty My dear, I'm awful shorry 'Bout gettin' ...
- The Circus Hey, there! Hoop-la! the circus is in town! Have...
- Going To School Did you see them pass to-day, Billy, Kate and...
- Growing Up
Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis, better known as C. J. Dennis, was an Australian poet known for his humorous poems, especially "The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke", published in the early 20th century. Though Dennis's work is less well known today, his 1916 publication of The Sentimental Bloke sold 65,000 copies in its first year, and by 1917 he was the most prosperous poet in Australian history.
Together with Banjo Paterson and Henry Lawson, both of whom he collaborated with, he is often considered among Australia's three most famous poets.
When he died at the age of 61, the Prime Minister of Australia Joseph Lyons suggested he was destined to be ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
The Ant Explorer
Once a little sugar ant made up his mind to roam-
To fare away far away, far away from home.
He had eaten all his breakfast, and he had his ma's consent
To see what he should chance to see and here's the way he went
Up and down a fern frond, round and round a stone,
Down a gloomy gully where he loathed to be alone,
Up a mighty mountain range, seven inches high,
Through the fearful forest grass that nearly hid the sky,
Out along a bracken bridge, bending in the moss,
Till he reached a dreadful desert that was feet and feet across.
'Twas a dry, deserted desert, and ...