Jayant Kaikini Poems
- Bobby Have you conversed with dogs? Rubbing your cheeks ...
- Button Rabbit A sour-faced tempo is stranded on the road On ...
- Proximity The stranger seated beside me has dozed off His ...
- Now Now it is eight p.m. - time for the cooker’s first ...
- At The End Of The Vigil The nurse is at the bus stop Leaving...
- Script When did the ant develop a taste for the news? Or did...
ayant Kaikini (or Jayanta Kāykiṇi, Kannada: ಜಯಂತ ಕಾಯ್ಕಿಣಿ) is a poet, short stories author and movie songs scriptwriter in Kannada.
Jayant Kaikini was born in Gokarna. His father, Gourish Kaikini, a schoolteacher, was a Kannada littérateur and mother Shanta, a social worker. After a Masters in Biochemistry from Karnataka University, Dharwad, he moved to Mumbai where he worked as a chemist for many years. He now lives in Bangalore with his wife Smita and two children, Srajana (daughter) who is an Odissi dancer and architect, and Ritwik (son). Apart from Kannada Jayant is fluent in Konkani (his mother tongue), Marathi, Hindi and ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Have you conversed with dogs?
Rubbing your cheeks against their
striped, spotted throbbing throats,
have you listened to their hot breathed exuberance?
Have you felt slighted as it eloped
with a bitch during mating season
ignoring the feed and
It is angrrrry at somebody in the deserted backyard -
standing with woof woof breathless ado
tongue in a tizzy, then, the moment
you touch its back like cooled off milk
it begins to soften, have you experienced it?
Have you felt proud
when it barked by mistake at you
and in utter ...