GRADE ONE PRIMARY - Poem by Ali Eckermann
I'm sitting up the tree today
And I'm NOT getting down!
I don't feel safe at school no more
Just 'cos my skin is brown.
If I sit here overnight
Will I turn into a bird?
So I can fly away from here
And all the nasty words
'Cos it's no fun being different
Where do I fit in?
Some kids at school are nasty
And their words have such a sting.
You half caste dog, you coon, you boong,
You stinking bloody abo,
I don't know what these words mean -
I know they hurt me like an arrow.
I asked my teacher to explain
And she just slapped me hard
And then when it was lunchtime
I was pushed over in the yard.
So now I'm sitting up the tree
I'll hide from everyone.
I don't understand this place -
I'm only in Grade One.
Comments about GRADE ONE PRIMARY by Ali Eckermann
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
- Still I RiseMaya Angelou
- The Road Not TakenRobert Frost
- If You Forget MePablo Neruda
- DreamsLangston Hughes
- Annabel LeeEdgar Allan Poe
- Stopping By Woods On A Snowy EveningRobert Frost
- IfRudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And WeepMary Elizabeth Frye
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love YouPablo Neruda
- TelevisionRoald Dahl