Simon Armitage Poems
- I Am Very Bothered I am very bothered when I think of the ...
- Poem And if it snowed and snow covered the drive he took a ...
- I Say I Say I Say Anyone here had a go at themselves for a ...
- About His Person Five pounds fifty in change, exactly, a ...
- It Ain'T What You Do, It's Wha...
- The Hard Here on the Hard, you're welcome to pull up and ...
- At Sea It is not through weeping, but all evening the pale ...
a British poet, playwright, and novelist.
Life and career
Simon Armitage was born in Marsden, West Yorkshire. Armitage first studied at Colne Valley High School, Linthwaite, Huddersfield and went on to study geography at Portsmouth Polytechnic. He was a post-graduate student at Manchester University where his MA thesis concerned the effects of television violence on young offenders. Until 1994 he worked as Probation Officer in Greater Manchester. He was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Letters in 1996 from the University of Portsmouth. He then lectured on creative writing at the University of Leeds, the University of Iowa and the Manchester Metropolitan University. In ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
I Am Very Bothered
I am very bothered when I think
of the bad things I have done in my life.
Not least that time in the chemistry lab
when I held a pair of scissors by the blades
and played the handles
in the naked lilac flame of the Bunsen burner;
then called your name, and handed them over.
O the unrivalled stench of branded skin
as you slipped your thumb and middle finger in,
then couldn't shake off the two burning rings. Marked,
the doctor said, for eternity.
Don't believe me, please, if I say
that was just my butterfingered way, at thirteen,
of asking you if ...