Steve Kowit Poems
- Notice This evening, the sturdy Levi's I wore every day for ...
- The Grammar Lesson A noun's a thing. A verb's the thing it ...
- Some Clouds Now that I've unplugged the phone, no one can ...
- Cutting Our Losses In a downtown San Jose hotel, exhausted &...
- Crossing The River I am translating a poem by Domingo ...
- Fragment Of Ancient Skull A young man, told to die for his ...
- The Garden Years ago we owned two cats who hated each ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
This evening, the sturdy Levi's
I wore every day for over a year
& which seemed to the end
in perfect condition,
How or why I don't know,
but there it was: a big rip at the crotch.
A month ago my friend Nick
walked off a racquetball court,
got into this street clothes,
& halfway home collapsed & died.
Take heed, you who read this,
& drop to your knees now & again
like the poet Christopher Smart,
& kiss the earth & be joyful,
& make much of your time,
& be kindly to everyone,
even to those who do not ...