William Carlos Williams
William Carlos Williams Poems
- The Red Wheelbarrow so much depends upon a red wheel
- A Sort Of A Song Let the snake wait under his weed and the ...
- This Is Just To Say I have eaten the plums that were ...
- Blizzard Snow falls: years of anger following hours that ...
- Danse Russe If I when my wife is sleeping and the baby and ...
- "Libertad! Igualdad! Fraternid... You sullen pig of a man ...
- Dawn Ecstatic bird songs pound the hollow vastness of the ...
an American poet closely associated with modernism and Imagism. He was also a pediatrician and general practitioner of medicine, having graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Williams "worked harder at being a writer than he did at being a physician"; but during his lifetime, Williams excelled at both.
Williams was born in Rutherford, New Jersey to an English father and a Puerto Rican mother. He received his primary and secondary education in Rutherford until 1897, when he was sent for two years to a school near Geneva and to the Lycée Condorcet in Paris. He attended the Horace Mann High School upon ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Quotationsmore quotations »
''Poe gives the sense for the first time in America, that literature is serious, not a matter of courtesy but of truth.''William Carlos Williams (1883-1963), U.S. poet. (First published 1925). "In the American Grain," The Recognition of Edgar Allan Poe, ed. E.W. Carlson ...
''Afraid lest he be caught up in a net of words, tripped up, bewildered and so defeatedthrown asidea man hesitates to write down his innermost convictions.''William Carlos Williams (1883-1963), U.S. poet. Journal entry for July 7, 1929. The Embodiment Of Knowledge (1974).
''The pure products of America go crazymountain folk from Kentucky or the ribbed north end of Jersey with its isolate lakes and valleys, its deaf-mutes, thieves.''William Carlos Williams (1883-1963), U.S. poet. "To Elsie," Spring and All (1923).
The Red Wheelbarrow
so much depends
a red wheel
glazed with rain
beside the white