A Dubious Boot
There was an old woman who lived in a boot,
No children, but lots of cupiditive loot.
Down deep in the toe went her dollars each week,
To keep them from those who might come and go seek.
Her dinner was thin middling broth without bread,
No salmon or pasta, saved money instead.
As thinner and slimmer the greedy one grew,
Her secret was sacred so nobody knew.
Some fine finger-lickin' the citizens brought,
Nice portions of chicken to thicken her broth.
She cackled, 'So grateful been down on my luck!
Can't pay for the plateful, no penny, no buck! '
More bulky and hulky the bulging boot drew,
Until it burst open, then everyone knew!
So under one's mattress one must keep one's loot,
Not down in the toe of one's dubious boot!
Connie Yost's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Dubious Boot by Connie Yost )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Suicide's Note, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- A Happy and Sad Haiku, Merton Lee
- Plum blossoms, Wenjun Liu
- PH: Echo: Being At Choice, Brian Johnston
- I walked through your woods, Wenjun Liu
- Stray Reflection, Sunny Chopra
- Tagore Song (#13) When He comes to beg me, Tushar Ray
- Selfish, Naomi Mith
- Tagorer Song (#12) My Invisible Flute, Tushar Ray
- Tagore Song (#11) Who is this piano pla.., Tushar Ray
- THOUGHT-LIFE (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello