Charles Henry Soutar
When the cranky German waggon,
With its ten or fifteen bag on
Comes a-jerkin' and a-joltin' down the dusty, limestone street,
And the "Norther's" blowin' blindin',
And the rollers are a-grindin',
And the agent jabs his sampler thro' the sackin' to the wheat,
Let 'em slide along the plank! slide along! slide along!
Sixty bushels for the Bank; slide along!
When your back is fairly breakin'
And your very fingers shakin'
With the heavin', heavin', heavin', in the blarsted, blazin' sun;
And the agent finds the spots out
And takes all his sample lots out
Where its rusty, pinched, or smutty—knockin' off five pound a ton;
Sling 'em over with a jerk! slide along! slide along!
Sixty days of wasted work! slide along!
Sixty days a-ploughin' mallee
In the God-forgotten valley
Of the creepin', crawlin' Murray, with the dingoes for your mates!
Sow and harrow, roll and reap it,
But you get no show to keep it,
For it's "Boom and bust yer biler" when the cocky speculates!
Let the bankers take the lot: slide along! slide along!
Farmin' mallee's bloomin' rot—slide along!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Harvest Time by Charles Henry Soutar )
- Filtrate, Akhtar Jawad
- I am gajananmishra, gajanan mishra
- Winter, Neela Nath
- How wonder, gajanan mishra
- Fortunate enough, hasmukh amathalal
- To Bob Whelan on Discussing Pablo Neruda, Bill Grace
- Intense drive, hasmukh amathalal
- My totality, gajanan mishra
- The Other Side Of The Story, mary douglas
- Journey end, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Cause And Effect, Charles Bukowski
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)