There is a mob in the backyard,
protesting my nightmare.
They wear t-shirts bearing the image,
of the man who wants me dead.
They chant the same 'Down With Jeff! ' slogan
so forcefully I swear it has a shadow.
What have I done to deserve this?
I pick up a sign and move among them,
like a kind of silence murderers return to.
I join the chant against me,
and for the first time I feel a sense of belonging.
Jeffrey McDaniel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Objectivity by Jeffrey McDaniel )
- Resignation, Jeff Gangwer
- PH: Nature: Canoeing The Mississippi #7, Brian Johnston
- Why Did You, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Lost Shores, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- "Be careful...", Jeff Gangwer
- Ten Million Colors, Jeff Gangwer
- missing you, matthew blankenship
- Never your Sun, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Jacky Tiger, Afshan Fatima
- It Gets Better, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)