Every breath I take is a labour of love,
for this body, I must sustain.
It seems happy, in this world.
But as for me, I would like to go.
I've stopped inventing purpose, reasons,
goals and dreams. I just don't have the ingredients,
anymore. I tried the usual exits, but they all
led me back to where I am, to my body's relief.
So, now, I paint black doors on walls;
doors that just won't open. I've got to get out.
I stretched it as far as it will go.
As a last resort, I tried to look for God who,
they say, is in my heart. But all I found was
a long obituary about his timely demise.
'He was old and cruel and had to go.',
was all the eulogy said.
They tell me what I need is hope;
I just don't argue anymore.
I really want to go.
I thought maybe a new love
might ease the pain, but
then again, I've tried that before.
One of these days, one of these doors
might just open, if the black paint
ever has mercy on my soul.
Mike Acker's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Painted Doors by Mike Acker )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- All through eternity, Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Life musings., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Record, Holy Man
- observing shells on your shore, Mandolyn ...
- Fly, Holy Man
- Happy I go Unhappy I Go, Akhtar Jawad
- Magical Glass of Water, Vera Sidhwa
- Timeless Ticking, Justin Sisson
- With terror, hasmukh amathalal
- Stars, Justin Sisson
- A Woman Strong, Justin Sisson