Rotting To Bone PART 1 / The Crow's Reply PART 2
'Escape from my tower,
Escape from my cell,
Escape from my cage,
Escape from my hell, '
'Despair in damp,
Cold and dirty,
You're too pretty, '
'Deserving of more,
You really should leave,
There's better in store,
So leave me be, '
It's my fate,
Rotting to bone,
I can't escape, '
'So flee, pretty crow,
To a happier life,
Away you go,
Where there's no strife.'
The crow replies,
'I can't do better,
I cannot lie,
You have a letter, '
'One of reprieve,
Do not cry,
For it gives relief,
You will not die, '
The letter reads, :
Blameless of deeds,
Never to croak.',
'My mistake, Oh No!
This isn't your name,
You cannot go!
I am ashamed! '
Says the crow,
'I have to leave,
I have letters to show,
I'll leave you to grieve,
And to die in slow.'
Maddy Jones's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Rotting To Bone PART 1 / The Crow's Reply PART 2 by Maddy Jones )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
James Weldon Johnson
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- A Tale of Two Handicapped Handyman, Tushar Ray
- Whispers Of Canal-Ghosts, Naveed Akram
- She Walks In Beauty, Luo Zhihai
- Is God both Interventionist and non-inte.., Merton Lee
- Fitina Mai Sand'a, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- Grandma's Attic...(Prose), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Diana's Pool, Julyn Pride
- For My Pen, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- Villanelle: When countries slaughter mai.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Coywolf, Julyn Pride