Edward Wright Haile
zz 118 Open marriage
Open marriage, how soon it comes apart,
regardless of what anybody says.
They claim free lovers can preserve one heart.
But who could counterfeit love’s offices
with fakes when true in such abundance spreads?
They say these forms refresh a tenderness.
I doubt that that decision took two heads.
No, one of them will stay monogamous.
They miss the best of marriage: conversation
frank, flowing full of what importantly
befalls each day, endearing in relation,
but which in open house immodestly
descends to sound, as who cares to hear of
his tenderness’s latest push and shove?
Edward Wright Haile's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (zz 118 Open marriage by Edward Wright Haile )
- No ordinary, hasmukh amathalal
- Coal - your turn, gajanan mishra
- Bluff-masters As Contemporary Indian Eng.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- There Will Always Be Another Poem, Shalom Freedman
- This Is My Bungalow, This Is My Car, Thi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- f' my life i hate this place, shannon strauss
- Pulmonary Hypertension, Strydar Enox
- Depths Unknown, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- English ‘hope', douglas scotney
- Looking for a new land, gajanan mishra