Akka Mahadevi Poems
- Love's Marvellous Ways Look at love's marvellous ways:
- Sunlight Made Visible Sunlight made visible the whole length...
- Show Me Your Way Out Like a silkworm weaving her house with ...
- How Can You Be Modest People, male and female, blush when a...
- O Lord, White As Jasmine You're like milk In water: I cannot...
- Don'T Despise Me Don't despise me as She who has no ...
- Would A Circling Surface Vultu... Would a circling surface ...
Akka Mahadevi (ಅಕ್ಕ ಮಹಾದೇವಿ) or Mahadevi or Mahadeviyakkha, a brilliant medieval Kannada poet, rebel and mystic, was a prominent figure of the Veerashaiva Bhakti movement of the 12th century Karnataka. Her Vachanas in Kannada, a form of didactic poetry are considered her greatest contribution to Kannada Bhakti literature. It is said that she was the first woman to write Vachanas in Kannada literature. In all she wrote about 430 Vachanas which is relatively fewer than that compared to some other saints of her time. Yet the term 'Akka' (elder Sister) which is an honorific given to her by great Veerashaiva saints like Basavanna, Chenna Basavanna, Kinnari Bommayya, Siddharama, Allamaprabhu and ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Akka Mahadevi
Love's Marvellous Ways
if you shoot an arrow
till no feather shows;
if you hug
a body, bones
must crunch and crumble;
the welding must vanish.
Love is then
our lord's love