Barbara Guest Poems
- Finnish Opera Grass grew long in the story. Pieces clung...
- Eating Chocolate Ice Cream: Re...
- Dissonance Royal Traveller sound opens sound shank of ...
- Barrels Y otras pasan; y viéndome tan triste, toman un ...
- A Way of Being There we go in cars, did you guess we wore ...
- A Reason That is why I am here not among the ibises. ...
- 20 Sleep is 20 remembering ...
Barbara Guest née Barbara Ann Pinson (September 6, 1920 – February 15, 2006) was an American poet and prose stylist. Guest first gained recognition as a member of the first generation New York School of poetry. Guest wrote more than 15 books of poetry spanning sixty years of writing. In 1999, she was awarded the Frost Medal for Lifetime Achievement by the Poetry Society of America. Guest also wrote art criticism, essays, and plays. Her collages appeared on the covers of several of her books of poetry. She was also well known for her biography of the poet H.D., Herself Defined: The Poet H.D. and Her World (1984).
Born in Wilmington, North Carolina and raised in California, Guest attended... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Barbara Guest
Sleep is 20
insignificant flamenco dancer
important as you watched
the mountain ridge
the dry hills
What an idiotic number!
Sleep is twenty
it certainly isn't twenty sheep
there weren't that many in the herd
under the cold crest of Sierra Nevada
It's more like 20 Madison Ave. buses
while I go droning away at my dream life
Each episode is important
that's what it is! Sequences —
I've got going a twenty-act drama
the theatre of ...