Charles Darnell Poems
- Lazarus Ah Jesus! You do me no favors! You give me life, ...
- Alone I walk along a melancholy strand, Hearing music ...
- Waiting For Joy We tell ourselves that it will come. It will...
- Orlando's Blood In the early morning hours the blood dries ...
- Pompeii’s Lover You lay in all your splendor, Haughty in ...
- Air: A Love Poem We lay together, Reclined in dark, Your ...
- Sail The spray hits you in the face. The swells bring the ...
I was born in Louisiana but I've spent most of my life in Texas, particularly in San Antonio where I met my wife and raised my family.
My work has appeared in anthologies and in print and online journals including The Shine Journal, The Mindful Word, Right Hand Pointing, and others. I am the past winer of the Tempie-Skerritt-Hickman Award and the San Antonio Poetry Fair Award. I recently won... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Charles Darnell
Ah Jesus! You do me no favors!
You give me life, but not my life!
You raise me up, what am I to do?
You are borne away with the crowd,
Shouting hosannas as you go,
Like the retreating tide
Pulls pebbles from the shore.
I am like shells on the sand.
Empty, hard husk, standing out for the curious,
But I shall not be picked up by wondering hands.
Those who know me, loved me, know me not now.
I am not the phoenix reborn with youth and soaring strength,
Just Lazarus, already tottering to my second tomb.
Those who loved me, wept with joy with my ...