Francis Kokutse Poems
- Concerto Goree In 'A' Minor (F...
- Listen To Me Sister, l am not sitting in front of ...
- Flow Like A River The river does not walk on its journey ...
- I Have Wronged You It was only yesterday that l held you in ...
- My Caribbean Pearl She treads the earth boucing her ...
- I Am Already Dead The dead goat, my people say would never ...
- My Silence Is Pregnant I have deliberately sealed my ...
Francis Kokutse, a 1990 Press Fellow of Wolfson College, University of Cambridge is a free-lance journalist based in Accra, Ghana. He is the Ghana Bureau Chief for Africa Today magazine. He also writes for several other media organisations including, Associated Press, Dow Jones Newswires and the Inter Press Service. He was born in Accra, and trained as a journalist. He started work with the ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Francis Kokutse
Concerto Goree In 'A' Minor (For Maya Angelou)
Oh! Oh! ! Oh! ! !
This is not a cry of pain.
It is the sound of the push of
the pangs of the birth of a tale
that l have carried like a pregnacy all my life.
If it sounds like laughter to you
then know that l am laughing at
their ignorance of our ways.
They would not understand.
That is why they say Maya is a poet
but she is not, it is just the jeliya
that has put words into her mouth to
say to the people of the new world
what her grandmother would have
said in the village square long ago.
Jelli, jelli oh jelli let the drum roll ...